Tuesday 24 November 2015

Review: Stabled by Penny Lam



Synopsis
A new dark romance from the author of Amazon bestseller "Struck Down"

"Don't go in there. Ever."
Maple is a smart, quiet, meek girl who, after a failed stint at college, takes a job at Deyton Ranch. The job is perfect. Free room and board, good pay, and most importantly, no one there knows her face or past. It's a place where she can hide-- even from herself.

Except some people are impossible to hide from. Her boss, J.B. Deyton, is a cowboy with money, serious sex appeal, and a secret. With tousled black hair and a commanding attitude, he's both terrifying and irresistible.

When he becomes not only her boss but also her savior, he brings forth the dark, quivering desires she keeps hidden beneath her milquetoast exterior. The job he's given her was supposed to offer her shelter, but soon Maple is in danger of running wild.

Now Maple needs to finds a way to rein herself in, or risk making the same mistakes twice. But when she opens the door to his secret, the blinders are lifted and something in her threatens to break.

She needs this job. She needs to not go in the stable. She needs to keep herself locked down.

But she isn't sure she can control her desires...or her heart.

_________________________

My Review

4 Stars!

I started reading this and could not stop so I was sneaking off to quite corners when I was forced to attend a family gathering, this really kept me going! I finished it half way through the day which sucked and I've just got home and started this review because I will end up forgetting how i felt and yada yada, so here goes..

'All monsters look peaceful in their sleep'

Stabled is book 1 in a trilogy and ends in a cliffhanger, it's not for those who don't enjoy darker elements in books or one who likes to stick to the 'norm'.This is the first book I have read by Penny Lam and lets be honest it's probably not going to be the last.

Maple is a quite, sort of shy woman with a dark past, one that she can't seem to run from.When hired by a rich cowboy called J.B. Deyton things end up getting worse instead of better.It's like her she just can't escape her dirty little past maybe it's time to embrace it. Her curiosity ends up getting her in to a lot of bother,secrets are revealed and there are some things you just can't come back from.

I'm so confused about how I feel about this book, like uhm wow this was soooo not what I had expected.I'm still trying to kind of get my head around it. I started this and thought it would be a cowboy romance, I missed out the part where it was a dark romance. I see how it is, there are quite a few dark elements to it which I usually try to stay away from. I've read books with the whole hardcore pain and pleasure element of it and it's fine when its a little bit but too much and it puts me off the book. If I know it will be in the book I usually avoid the book, it's just not my thing but..this worked.

I'm so intrigued with what will happen next, never have I read the whole 'pony girls'thing which you will understand what I mean when you read it. I don't want to give anything away.It's just a book you have to read to understand, even though I don't even fully understand this.Like whaat? When did this become a thing? Its weird yet I want to carry on and see how things go.

My thoughts on Maple are confused,I don't get her kind of kink, I want to see J.B's reaction when she tells him of her past.J.B is a bloody mystery. What are you? I would love a chapter in his POV just to get more insight to his character and past.I can't wait for book 2!


*Arc provided by the author for an honest review*

No comments:

Post a Comment