Saturday 8 February 2014

Review: Poison Study (Study #1) By Maria V. Snyder


Synopsis
Choose: A quick death…Or slow poison...

About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace—and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust—and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...


My Review
4 Magical, Kickass Stars!!


I have a friend who told me about this book years ago and I was like yeah yeah I will read it and well..I didn't. Hah! After years I spotted it on Goodreads and thought damn this is a sign lets get reading.When I got the book I was slightly skeptical about it the only magic book I have read and loved has been Harry Potter series and I thought oh if this is that kind of magic I will probably hate it.Due to all these stupid negative thoughts it took me a while getting in to it.Okay I always ended up starting it when I was so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open *hides face in shame*

But hey it gets better! I got really into it and ended up really enjoying it! It was something different, something I hadn't read before which made it an awesome read.I was hooked, I was a strong powerful woman on an adventure and I could not get enough, hence the going to sleep at around 3am.

This book starts off and you meet Yelena who is about to be executed for murder but due to last minute changes she gets a choice of being hanger or becoming the Commander's food taster.Tasting food is no easy job especially when she is tasting to see if anyone has tried to poison the Commander.What do you do when given a situation like this? It only gets worse when on her first day of training she is poisoned and if she doesn't come and get the antidote every 2 or so days she will end up dying a horrible death.


“Everyone makes choices in life. Some bad, some good. It's called living, and if you want to bow out, then go right ahead. But don't do it halfway. Don't linger in whiner's limbo.”


Yelena was an awesome lead,an orphan taken in from the streets and been through horrendous situations and yet she is still strong, sarcastic, kind and loyal.I loved Valek and Yelena it was so obvious he would be the love interest, what with all that hot, broody assassin thing going on ;) There isn't much romance in this book, I wish there was more but it still was a good book. I'd have loved it to be an adult book, some added smut and so on as I very rarely read YA anymore.



"But you’ve slipped under my skin, invaded my blood and seized my heart.”


“That sounds more like a poison than a person,” was all I could say. His confession had both shocked and thrilled me.

“Exactly,” Valek replied. “You have poisoned me.”



Valek..ohh Valek I want more of you ;) Intelligent, fast, powerful, broody, arsehole at time..I shall take it! Without him this book would be lacking he made it way better.I can't wait to see how this series will continue and what will happen between Valek and Yelena. I loved the other characters too such as Ari and Janco! Two best friends who take a liking to Yelena since she helps them. I loved how they were like her new family. Janco being the joker brother who is a bit of a prankster and Ari being the loving protective older brother.They were great and it just added more coolness to this book ;)


“Trusting is hard. Knowing who to trust, even harder.”


Can't wait to read next book but I will have to get through a few others first! aaahhh..soonn I shall have time to read it and I hope its just as good or even better than this one.



Buy Links

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7LTDY0
Amazon US:  http://amzn.com/B00B7LTDY0

No comments:

Post a Comment